The holiday season is here again, and it’s time to gather with friends and family for festive fun. More and more, we want to include our furry family in our festivities, so here are a few tips to keep your pets safe as you celebrate.
If you believe your pet has consumed something they shouldn’t this holiday season, please contact your local veterinarian or the Animal Poison Control Center Hotline at 1-888-426-4435.
Make sure your tree is securely anchored and cannot be climbed by a curious cat. Falling trees and broken ornaments can injure pets. If using a live tree, ensure your pets can not access the tree water. It can contain bacteria and fertilizers, which will upset a pet’s stomach. Fir trees contain oils that irritate a pet’s mouth and stomach if chewed, and the needles may cause further gastrointestinal distress if swallowed.
Many varieties of holiday plants are dangerous to pets if consumed; mistletoe, holly, poinsettias, lilies, daffodils, amaryllis, and Christmas cactus are some of the most prevalent this time of year. If you use any of these live plants in your home during this season, ensure your pet does not have access to them.
Make sure any lit candles are kept on high and stable surfaces and put them out if you leave the room. Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock lit candles over. Keep electrical cords and wires out of the pet’s reach. Chewing these could cause a lethal electric shock.
If consumed, wrapping paper, sparkly ribbons, and tiny bows can pose choking risks and digestive tract obstructions. So be sure pets can’t tear into presents when you aren’t supervising. Pets love the way tinsel sparkles and crinkles. Cats, in particular, find it very fun to chew on. Tinsel can cause digestive tract obstructions, potentially leading to surgery. It’s best to keep them off our trees, especially if feline family members are in the house.